Your Advocates For Becoming A Permanent Resident
Certain foreign nationals who wish to apply for green cards to allow them permanent residency within the United States will have to undergo a process known as “adjustment of status.” U.S. immigration law provides a variety of ways for foreign nationals and those with nonimmigrant visas to adjust their statuses. The most common ways to adjust status include filing a family-based visa petition or employment-based visa petition.
At the Law Offices of Hans Burgos, we have worked on hundreds of adjustment status cases over the years in Florida and throughout the country. We have effectively represented numerous clients at their green card application and adjustment of status interviews. Whether it is a straightforward application or a complicated case with legal issues, we are experienced, licensed attorneys who will take on your case to guide and represent you throughout your adjustment of status process.
Establishing Eligibility For A Green Card
When applying for permanent residency, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will determine whether you are eligible to adjust your status based on U.S. immigration laws and policy. Initially, USCIS will examine specific factors in determining your eligibility for adjustment of status. Such factors include whether you:
- Entered the United States illegally
- Overstayed your visa
- Have worked without valid employment authorization
- Have a criminal record or failed to report taxes to the IRS
- Engaged in fraud to obtain an immigration benefit
Furthermore, for most cases, USCIS will also determine whether you are eligible for the adjustment as a matter of discretion. Essentially, USCIS will weigh the positive factors in your case against the negative factors in your case. Such factors include your:
- Immigration status and history, including your family unity
- Length of residence in the United States
- Business and employment ties to the United States
- Contributions to the community
- Moral character
As the applicant, you bear the burden of establishing that you merit becoming a lawful permanent resident. We are experienced immigration lawyers who will help you make a strong case in your favor.
Who Can Become A Lawful Permanent Resident?
Immigration statutes provide for a variety of types of green cards, including those from athletes to family members. We can represent you with any of the following immigration services:
- Family-based petitions – Green cards granted to foreign nationals with approved and immediately available Petition for Alien Relative forms (Form I-130)
- People of extraordinary ability (EB-1 preference category) – Green cards granted to foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, business or athletics as well as outstanding professors and researchers
- Executives and managers of multinational companies (EB-13 preference category) – Green cards granted to foreign nationals who are executives or managers subject to international transfer to the United States and employed by a multinational company doing business in the U.S.
- Professionals (EB-3 preference category) – Green cards granted to foreign nationals holding advanced degrees and/or having exceptional abilities in science, art or business; available to foreign nationals with college degrees or the foreign equivalent
- Permanent labor certification (ETA 9089) – Process by which the U.S. Department of Labor certifies that there are no minimally qualified U.S. workers willing and available to do a particular permanent job in the United States
- Investor visa (EB-5 preference category) – Green cards granted to foreign nationals who are making substantial investments in the United States and hiring U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents, thus enhancing employment opportunities in the U.S.
When you meet with a lawyer, they will help you assess the best option for your success in the green card application process. At the Law Offices of Hans Burgos, we tailor every case to the specifics of each client’s situation.
Let Us Ease Your Concerns
We understand the stress and frustration that you may be experiencing and are here to help mitigate your fears and concerns. We have extensive experience managing the complex process of obtaining a green card. We are diligent professionals and always have our clients’ best interests in mind.